As I get closer to Miss Kansas week, I cannot help but look back on everything this past year has brought me. I am in awe of the wonderful opportunities I have had, the incredible humans I have met, and the amount of laughter and tears that have been part of this experience. There are so many people to thank and recognize for their support and faith in me.
When Savvy Shields was crowned Miss America 2017, her first interview was the press conference immediately following the crowning. She said (and I roughly quote) “I am the collection of everyone I encounter”. I thought that was such a beautiful thing to say, but last week it became something I realized was true in my own life. Because it is a large collection of individuals that have made me who I am.
- It’s my parents who raised me and encouraged me along the way.
- It is my spiritual leaders, mentors, and pastors who have asked me the tough questions and helped me grow in my faith.
-It’s all of my friends with disabilities that have taught me thousands of life lessons along the way.
-It’s the fellow employees that I’ve worked with and the expertise they have brought to the table.
- It’s the community connections that open new doors and opportunities.
- It’s amazing friends that support me and say “how can I help”
- It’s every person I have encountered at every appearance this year.
- It’s those who have hurt or disappointed me and the life lessons that came along with the pain.
- It’s family members that are more than gracious and supportive in all my endeavors.
- It’s the other contestants I have met and befriended along the away.
Every person I have met has taught me kindness, compassion, love, business ethics, opposing views, political engagement, media marketing, how to walk, how to stand, singing techniques, self care, emotional health, spiritual guidance, and so many more things. I am who I am because of who I have met along the way.
Thank you, from the very bottom of my heart. I am a collection of all of you, and it’s made me a strong woman because of it.
Krystian Alisha Fish